Princeton is bordered by several towns including Sterling, Leominster, Westminster, Hubbardston, Rutland, and Holden. Its 3,400 residents rely on local and state routes to access Route 2 to the north and 190 to the east. Due to the popularity of the residential towns in the region, the MBTA has plans to extend its service along the Fitchburg line out to Princeton. The building of the Wachusett station is expected to bring convenient service for residents to access Boston.
Princeton was once a part of Rutland, Massachusetts, which contains the geographic center of the state. Rutland was first settled in 1666 under the name Niquag. Princeton was then created in 1759, and named after Reverend Thomas Prince. It later annexed land in 1810 and 1870 from Hubbarston and Westminster, respectively, to form the town as it exists today.
One of the town’s landmarks, Redemption Rock, is known as the site where Mary Rowlandson was ransomed. Mrs. Rowlandson was taken and held captive by the Native Americans for eleven weeks before being bought back with funds raised by the women of Boston. She went on to write and publish her captivity story.
During the 1800s, Princeton became a popular vacation destination in Massachusetts drawing such historical figures as Thomas Edison, Louisa May Alcott, Sarah Bernhardt, and Lydia Pinkham. Agriculture, including blueberries, as well as small industries also flourished.
These all declined in the 1900s, as Princeton became the quiet residential town it is today.